Sunday, November 27, 2016

Parents Meeting

That was a really different experience for me. Also that was my first and -I assume the last- parents meeting. As a young teacher, I was very nervous and very excited. But in my mind, I had a plan. A plan that all the parents either like me or hate me. Thankfully, they liked me and even I told my age to them, I thought they were going to say a bad thing about it but they were really cool with it because they thought it is good thing to have a young teacher, especially an English teacher. I realised at the same, I have told the same things to all the parents. But it is not a bad thing because when I used non-orthodox ways to speak with the parents. All the teachers have the classrooms for them including me but I didn't use it because both I had to share a classroom with three teachers and I wanted to speak with the parents in the hall. Plus I spoke with them like I do with their children. Relaxed and friendly. I told everything about me so they can think that I am a good teacher. Well.. At least for a year. When I spoke to them, I realised something. I realised, I have had some experience about speaking people about education. I didn't know that but I realised when I spoke with a parent and suddenly all the parents gathered around me and they were listening to me like listening a young man who accomplished something. Or they were listening to me so good like listening to their own children. Also I noticed that some teachers were complaining about some kids. All the time. This is one of the reasons that I won’t be teaching in schools too. They were complaining but they weren't right all the time. All the parents have come to me they were sad and I thought that was so disappointed. I wanted to help them so whenever they came to me I thought it would be a good idea to talk about their children’s good sides. And I did. They were so happy after I talked to them and one of them said she had wished all the teachers were like me. Well.. That may be a bad idea but still I think I am doing a good job. They call me idealist in the teachers room. So be it. I am an idealist teacher because I wasn't a great student but I turned out as a good person. At least I have a job and plans. That is the important thing about the students. They are going to realise it will be a serious thing when they graduate from the high school. Mostly, I tried to tell the parents this. Because at the end, they need to be a well-behaved and respected people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment